Wednesday February 12, 2014
HERE ARE THE TOP 5 ITEMS IN THE FEDERAL BUDGET:
- ON THE DEFICIT: THIS IS THE FIRST CONSERVATIVE BUDGET TO ACTUALLY REDUCE GOVERNMENT SPENDING YEAR TO YEAR. THE DEFICIT HAS BEEN REDUCED TO $2.9 BILLION THIS YEAR, BY 2015 (ELECTION YEAR) THERE WILL BE A SURPLUS OF $6.4 BILLION.
- IN THE PUBLIC SERVICE: NO TALK OF FURTHER STAFF REDUCTIONS. THE CONSERVATIVES INTEND TO REDUCE SICK LEAVE BENEFITS AND THE HEALTH CARE PLAN WILL GO TO 50/50 COST SHARING WHICH WILL DOUBLE PREMIUMS PAID BY RETIREES. $7.4 BILLION WOULD BE SAVED OVER SIX YEARS BY REDUCING BENEFITS. WITH 27 COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENTS DUE THIS YEAR, THE GOVERNMENT IS CLEARLY BETTING UNIONS WON’T HAVE THE WILL TO STRIKE. VETERANS RELEASED ON MEDICAL LEAVE WILL GET TOP PRIORITY FOR JOBS IN THE PUBLIC SERVICE, AHEAD OF LAID OFF PUBLIC SERVANTS. $108 MILLION OVER 3 YEARS TO INCREASE FUNERAL AND BURIAL COSTS.
- FOR CONSUMERS: THE COMPETITION BUREAU WILL HAVE POWER TO CRACK DOWN ON RETAILERS WHO CANNOT JUSTIFY SELLING GOODS IN CANADA FOR MORE THAN THEY CHARGE IN THE USA.
- FOR NEW REVENUE: CIGARETTE TAXES GO UP ANOTHER $4 A CARTON.
- FOR JOB GROWTH: $1.5 BILLION OVER TEN YEARS WILL SUPPORT UNIVERSITY-BASED INNOVATION RESEARCH. THE STUDENT LOANS PROGRAM WILL BE EXPANDED BY $100 MILLION TO ADD A NEW $4,000 INTEREST-FREE LOAN FOR APPRENTICESHIP TRAINING. $40 MILLION OVER TWO YEARS FOR MORE INTERNSHIPS. $11.4 MILLION OVER FOUR YEARS TO VOCATIONAL TRAINING FOR PEOPLE WITH AUTISM. $75 MILLION OVER 3 YEARS TO HELP OLDER WORKERS SEEKING JOBS. $40 MILLION OVER TWO YEARS TO HELP ENTREPRENEURS CREATE NEW BUSINESSES. THE FEDERAL SHARE OF THE CANADA JOBS TRAINING GRANT DOUBLES TO $10,000. $700 MILLION IS PROMISED FOR HIGHWAY, BRIDGE AND DAM INFRASTRUCTURE MAINTENANCE. NO MONEY ANNOUNCED FOR OTTAWA’S STORM WATER SEWER IMPROVEMENT PROJECT, HOWEVER MAYOR WATSON EXPECTS IT WILL BE FUNDED FROM A $14 BILLION INFRASTRUCTURE FUND.
Coming up today on Madely in the Morning:
7:10 - Professor Ian Lee, Sprott School of Business, Carleton University
7:40 - Madely's Top 5
7:45 - Royal Canadian Legion Dominion Command President Gordon Moore
7:55 - The News Challenge Contest. You could win:
- Dinner from Milano's - a large pizza, onion rings, zucchini sticks and a 2 litre bottle of pop!
- A family four pack to any Ottawa 67s home game at the Canadian Tire Centre.
- A pair of tickets to Investors Group Stars on Ice, featuring World Champion Patrick Chan and Olympic Champions Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir, taking place at Canadian Tire Centre Sunday April 27.
All of the winners this week will be entered to win: A couple's retreat at Holtz Spa. You and your love will enjoy a couples massage and dinner at Sante Spa, just in time for Valentine's Day! Visit holtzspa.com
8 – 9 - David Akin, National Bureau Chief, Sun Media
Coming up today on CFRA:
Late Night Counsell - 9p-11p --- Wednesday is Ask the Pastor Night, when John Counsell puts his 30+ years of pastoral experience to good use. It's open-line/open topic with a twist. The twist is that he answers, responds, and reacts to all questions, queries and opinions from a Biblical perspective.