Ottawa Fire is celebrating the work of two of its teams that managed to prevent a fire in a 140-year-old New Edinburgh church.
They were called because of smoke, but no one could find the source until crews used thermal technology and found heat tucked away in the roof.
Acting district chief Ward Lancaster says they found overheated joints in the ceiling that were at risk of catching fire.
"It's in an area [...] above the ceiling; there's no smoke alarms or detectors up there," he tells CFRA. "Had it not been noticed and it continued and it did ignite, it would have been an extremely difficult fire to fight."
It would also have meant the loss of the MacKay United Church, an important community gathering place worth about $2-million.