News

 

Fire on Anderson Street: no working smoke alarms

Three people have been taken to hospital following an early morning fire on Anderson Street near Little Italy.

The three people, two men and a woman, needed treatment for smoke inhalation, minor burns and lacerations.

Ottawa Fire says they were called out just before 2 a.m. for a possible structure fire on the second floor at 26 Anderson, with occupants possibly trapped.

When they arrived at the two story residence, they say one person was trapped on the front porch roof.

Fire crews rescued all three occupants and later discovered that none of the three smoke alarms in the residence were working.

Spokesman Marc Messier says it was lucky that one of the residents woke up on his own and smelled smoke. Messier reminds everyone to check smoke alarms once a week to make sure they are working.

Another safety issue arising from the fire: it's believed the fire began from a pot left cooking on the stove unattended.

Damages are estimated at $50,000.

Leave a comment:

· Subscribe to comments
Be the first to comment here!