News

 

Leighton inquest hears his injuries were not survivable

It will likely take until the end of the week to hear all of the evidence from as many as 16 witnesses expected to be called in the inquest into Eric Leighton's death.

The 18-year-old was killed in a shop class explosion at Mother Teresa High School on May 26, 2011 when he was working on converting an oil barrel into a barbecue.

At the end of the first day of testimony much of the medical evidence had already been heard.

Both the attending physician and the pathologist who performed the autopsy on Leighton confirmed his injuries were not survivable and that they were instantaneously fatal. Leighton was rendered immediately unconscious and never regained consciousness or the ability to breathe on his own.

The remaining evidence to be called may be less precise as it will come from the school board, teachers' association and the shop class teacher himself.

"The hope is that by looking at what happened here, the jury can make some recommendations so we can prevent this type of thing happening in the future," said Coroner's counsel Robert Wadden, adding the inquest could bring some meaning to Leighton's death.

Leighton's parents say the inquest is overwhelming as much of the detail is new to them.

"My impression of it was that I thought they had worked on him for 45 minutes at the school but with (Ottawa Paramedics supervisor Jason St-Pierre's) testimony it looked like it was all the way through the school to the hospital and the hospital was the one that revived him, so that was very hard to hear," said Sheri Leighton, Eric's mother.

She said despite the difficulty of hearing some of the evidence, they do plan to continue to attend each day of the proceedings.

The inquest will hear from Leighton's former shop teacher Scott Day when it resumes on Tuesday.

Leave a comment:

· Subscribe to comments
Be the first to comment here!