News

 

Mother, baby rescued from burning house in Buckingham

A mother and her baby had to be rescued from a burning home in Buckingham early Saturday morning.

Fire Chief Guy Dagenais tells CFRA, two firefighters were going into the home to rescue the trapped residents when they saw the mother holding her baby, trying to escape. The woman handed her baby over to them and then collapsed. Crews had to pull her out of the home.

The 24-year-old mother was taken to hospital with burns on her back and to be treated for smoke inhalation. She remains in hospital. The baby was transferred to CHEO and is being treated for carbon monoxide poisoning. Neither is in life-threatening condition.

Five people live in that half of the semi-detached home, but only four were present at the time. The other two people, the father and another child, were treated for burns to their hands and face but have since been released from hospital.

There are two people who live in other half of the semi-detached. They are the 23-year-old father's parents. They are not injured but are displaced, as the fire destroyed the entire home and the roof caved in.

The blaze broke out at around 3 a.m. Saturday on Buckingham Avenue. It took 27 firefighters and 11 trucks two hours to get the blaze under control. Desjourner says the cause is electrical. There is $50,000 damage to the home’s contents and $200,000 in structural damage.

Dagenais says they’re glad no lives were lost, but it could have been worse. He is reminding the public to check their smoke alarms as it seems the ones in this house fire, were not working.

Leave a comment:

· Subscribe to comments
Be the first to comment here!