Ottawa Paramedics say a 21-year-old woman was taken to the Ottawa Hospital trauma centre, after a crash on Highway 174 Wednesday night.
Emergency crews were called to the highway, near Trim Road, just before 8:30 p.m., after reports that a tanker truck had gone into the ditch.
When they arrived they discovered the truck along with a 4-door compact car.
The jaws of life were needed to get the driver out of her car before she was rushed to hospital with serious head injuries.
While the tanker truck was carrying a non-toxic substance, the Ottawa Fire hazmat team along with a foam truck were called in as a precaution.
Police have closed the highway in both directions between Cameron Street and Trim Road as they investigate and say it will remain closed during the morning commute, so you should expect some delays.
Detours are in place for both directions.
For westbound traffic:
- South on Cameron Street to Old Montreal Road
- West on Old Montreal Road to Frank Kenny Road
- South on Frank Kenny Road to Innes Road
- West on Innes Road to Trim Road
- North on Trim Road to Highway 174
For eastbound traffic:
- South on Trim Road to Innes Road
- East on Innes Road to Frank Kenny Road
- North on Frank Kenny Road to Old Montreal Road
- East on Old Montreal Road to Cameron Street
- North on Cameron Street to Highway 174