Kelly Jones sentenced to eight years in prison

A former minor hockey and baseball coach has been sentenced to eight years behind bars for the sexual abuse of 11 youths between 1971 and 1997.

Kelly Jones, 58, has also been placed on the sexual offenders registry for life, and was given strict conditions.

Jones pleaded guilty to dozens of charges in April and has admitted to abusing more victims.

In her sentence, Justice Heather Perkins-McVey said Jones used hockey and baseball as an opportunity to screen for victims in a never-ending quest for sexual gratification.

She said the fact that he had no prior criminal record, only meant that he was never caught, adding they could not really substantiate that there was a period in Jones' life that he did not sexually abuse victims, considering some hadn't come forward.

There was one chink in Jones' steely armour during the sentencing Monday. He wiped tears from his eyes as Robin McMillan, the first victim to come forward to police addressed the courtroom saying he'd found it within himself to forgive his abuser.

"I am completely free from all of this," said McMillan in court. Jones sexually abused him for a period of four or five years. He came forward to police in 2013. Once the information was reported in the media 10 more victims came forward.

Jones was otherwise stone-faced in the courtroom, choosing only to say six words.

"Robin, you're very brave. Thank you," he said, turning in the prisoner's docket to face McMillan.

"I cared about him," McMillan told reporters outside the courthouse. "I still care about him. I know it's perverted. I know it was wrong. I know he stole that from me, but the thing that I had to admit was I didn't do anything wrong."

McMillan admitted to having a loving relationship with Jones, even though he was so young when the abuse took place.

Although, McMillan has been able to forgive, others have not.

"I don't forgive him. Ever," said Christopher Line, who was taken to Algonquin Park for up to two weeks, where he was sexually abused and threatened.

He said Jones' eight year sentence did not make much of a difference.

"There was no closure from the sentence," said Line. "That's one of the things that disturbed me the most, is I thought that as this all went through that I was going to get a little bit of relief and every time I went to court, I just felt more anxiety.

"I came to realize that I'm never going to get over it. Ever," he added. "I know that. Talking to people isn't going to change it."

Jones was prepared to plead guilty to assaulting other victims, but his lawyer, Jeff Langevin advised him against it.

"He hopes that all his victims will heal and that all of this will be behind everyone now," said Langevin.

Since more victims did not come forward, Justice Perkins-McVey said she could not consider them in her decision.

Leave a comment:

· Subscribe to comments
Be the first to comment here!