An Ottawa Public Health Investigation has resulted in fines against a Barrhaven restaurant, after 25 kids at a Mandarin-language day camp became sick after eating rice from Lotus Chinese Food Take-Out on Fallowfield Road.
Dr. Carolyn Pim, with Ottawa Public Health, says lab tests found bacteria called bacillus cereus in a fried rice dish that was served to the kids.
Dr. Pim says bacillus cereus most commonly causes illness when food isn't kept hot after it's been cooked.
She says an investigation that involved interviews with more than 90 people found that 44 people in total, including the 25 children became sick and all had eaten the rice from Lotus.
Six of the children from the day camp were sent to hospital with dizziness and vomiting, symptoms Dr. Pim says are in line with those commonly linked to bacillus cereus.