main-content-following

Family shocked, numb after firstdegree murder charge stayed

    nayelparents
    nayelparents
    A family has been devastated by a court decision to stay charges against an Ottawa man accused of firstdegree murder.

    A family has been devastated by a court decision to stay charges against an Ottawa man accused of first-degree murder.

    Adam Picard was arrested shortly after the discovery of 28-year-old Fouad Nayel's body in a wooded area in Madawaska township four years ago.

    Today, the murder charge was stayed with a judge saying it was taking too long for the case to reach trial.

    Nayel's mother Nicole told CTV she has lost faith in the justice system.

    "Now I have nothing left; I feel like I'm numb," said Nayel. "I didn't expect something like this would happen. Not on a first-degree murder."

    Fouad Nayel had been missing for five months when his remains were found in November of 2012.

    Picard, a former soldier who served in Afghanistan, was taken into custody that December and maintains his innocence.

    Late Tuesday afternoon, Ontario Attorney General Yasir Naqvi issued the following statement:

    “I take this matter very seriously and I am concerned.  It is imperative that our criminal justice system works to protect the interests of all Ontarians, including victims, the public and the accused. My Ministry’s officials are looking closely at today’s decision.  I have asked them to conduct their review as quickly as possible and I expect it to be concluded shortly.”

    With files from CTV Ottawa